Thursday, March 20, 2014

Part 1: 1984 by George Orwell

http://haikubookreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/1984cover.jpg 
This book cover reminds me of a quote from The Lord of The Rings about the eye of Sauron: "The lord of Mordor sees all."

So what does a strange story about "loveable" farm animals with their own manifesto have in common with a story about a society that is closely monitored by the government? We all know (meaning us intelligent human beings) that George Orwell has a hobby of conveying the negatives of a dictatorship/totalitarian government through his novels and for us capitalists, with a sense of nationalism, enjoy reading books that criticize other governments. And for that, "nationalism", I have chosen Book 3, the classic, as Orwell's 1984.

Animal Farm, which I read last year, was an allegory about the Russian Revolution/Communism. In my opinion, the story was very strange (I mean--who names a pig "Snowball"?), but it definitely got its point across (considering all I took from the story was: "Communism = bad" and "Don't name your pig "Snowball" otherwise your other pet pig named "Napoleon" will drive him and you out of your farm"). Hopefully 1984 makes more sense than Animal Farm and still drives its point home. 

Most of my friends have read the novel and have said they enjoyed it, so I am looking forward to reading the novel. Send me "happy reading" wishes!

Links:
  • The Perfect Animal Farm Glogster (not mine)


3 comments:

  1. I have heard of 1984 before. I have even read a little bit of it. I know animal farm, by I personally have not read that one. The plot of 1984 is a very interesting one, and definitely relates to our own situation today. I hope that you will enjoy this classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you enjoy Orwell's style in "Animal Farm?" And do you think that your previous opinion on his writing would ever create a bias on your view of "1984?" And lastly, what makes "1984" different from all of the other dystopian novels today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alycia,
    We must be on the same page here, since I just read a book about a dystopian society. Tell me about the tone of the book. I would like to see how it relates to Fahrenheit 451's rather serious tone. Other than that, you have nicely written entries that stand out to me as though you are no different at blogging that your style of speaking in real life. This is a good thing, so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete