Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Part 1: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

My copy of Cloud Atlas looks like this!

Three words on the back of the book seem to haunt me as I examine the shiny exterior of my newly-bought Cloud Atlas book: “Everything is connected”. I must say, these words are perhaps the perfectest (that is, if "perfectest" is even a word) way to describe the six story lines in the novel, which span across time and space. I first came across the story while I was sprawled out on my couch in the family room, crunching on cashews and roaming through HBO channels. By chance, the title piqued my interest. What did the words "cloud" and "atlas" have in common that could produce a movie featured on HBO? One hundred and seventy-two minutes later, I gaped at the rolling credits in awe. What I had witnessed on that fateful day, would become one of my most favorite movies ever (preceded by "The Royal Tenenbaums"--I mean, who doesn't love Wes Anderson's quirky style?) and trust me, being on Alycia's top five movie list is a great honor. Since I've already watched the movie, I basically know the important plot twists and major happenings of the story (to be honest, I never heard of David Mitchell or his best-selling novels before I watched the movie). A huge difference between the two versions, is that the film had fifteen talented actors and actresses play multiple roles in the different story lines. For example, Halle Berry portrayed the character Meronym in the "Big Isle" story while she played a "native woman" in the "Pacific Islands" story. The book, on the other hand, does not specify one character in one life as another, reborn, in a different life (I know this because I flipped through it to get a sense of where I will be heading in the next five days or so). 

You're probably wondering why I'm even choosing to read this novel, after I've seen the movie. You must be thinking something along the lines of this: "Why, she's got it all wrong! One must read the book before seeing the movie. Otherwise, there would be no point in enjoying a perfectly good book after it's been ruined for you by the cursed film industry." Well, yes. For me, there is no need to "predict" and "infer" how the story will unfold, because I know how each story line will eventually end. But what the movie deprives the audience of, is the original experience. And for that, I have chosen Cloud Atlas as my Book 1.

Links:

(If you choose to watch Cloud Atlas, be sure to watch it at least twice in order to appreciate the deeper meaning of the story.)
(David Mitchell has written five critically acclaimed novels, Cloud Atlas, Black Swan Green, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, Number9Dream, and Ghostwritten. He is currently living in Ireland.)

Picture Source: http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHJAzHn6gxbgMO_1_m.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Haha I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I've never heard of Cloud Atlas before seeing your blog on it, but those first three words are also incredibly intriguing. I think I should read this book, but I don't like the types of stories where characters have their own stories and they eventually come together. I guess maybe it's because I have read too many similar books. Anyway, I totally agree with the fact that you should read the book first... and then watch the movie. Your way is okay too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the story lines don't exactly come together, considering the fact that they have different endings. They are connected, yes, but the stories span across time and space. Thanks for your reply!

      Delete
  2. That's a really fascinating story element, interconnected yet virtually (from the way you describe it) separate storylines. I commend you on choosing a book that will be interesting to review! It keeps blog-readers/viewers, like myself, more entertained. I look forward to more reviews/thoughts on this book in the future! Additionally, I must add that I, too, prefer the book before movie sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds pretty cool - at first I agreed with Allison because I don't especially like multiple-perspective stories, but then you cleared that up and I've read a few stories where they are kind of different stories stretched across different settings, that interconnect but never exactly meet up and flow together. Is that what you meant? And while I do usually try to read the book first, I have seen the movie beforehand a few times - it's usually pretty good that way too, because since the books are often times 'better', in a way, the book doesn't ruin the movie (I don't think I said that very clearly, but hopefully you know what I mean...). I'm pretty excited to hear more about how this story turns out! Maybe you'll make me want to read it too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Why, she's got it all wrong! One must read the book before seeing the movie. Otherwise, there would be no point in enjoying a perfectly good book after it's been ruined for you by the cursed film industry."
    You read my mind.
    I just have a slightly different opinion, while I give all respect to yours. Personally, I don't think books are ruined by the film industries; except for Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (I can still rant about that movie). I actually think most movies do a really good job engaging the audience, even if its doesn't completely follow the plot. That's why I strain from watching the movie beforehand; once I watch the movie, I know what's going to happen. Books take grit and time to finish sometimes, and my grit level plunges after watching the movie. "Why spend time reading the book when I've already figured out the ending and plot in roughly 120 minutes?" That's why I chose to read the Hobbit, I want to watch Martin Freeman act ASAP but I still want to read the book at some point. I think you're not going to stop reading though, so I hope you enjoy your book as much as the novie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the insertion of your personality into the blog post, it made reading slightly less boring (Mr. Perlman, if you're reading this, I don't really mean that I don't enjoy reading, because I like books more than I like most things in life. I'm just trying to compliment Alycia). In all seriousness, I think that this book would be very interesting to read. I wonder if you ever wish certain plots were continued longer than others. Quick question: do you enjoy the constantly changing plots more, or the author's style of writing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a great time reading! I think that it is very true that you can still read the book after watching the movie. The book can have aspects the movie does not cover. I had a similar experience. Also, I applaud your description of you accounts of wanting to read the book. I can tell you put a lot of hard work in this post. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete