Saturday, March 29, 2014

Part 1: The Mother Tongue

 
English: The only language with the word "artsy-fartsy"

While rummaging through book at home, I happened across the book shown above. The title immediately sparked my interest (after all, English is my mother tongue). I am hoping that The Mother Tongue will add to my knowledge of English, the universal language, and allow me to become a better writer. I have lots of high expectations, considering my parents praised this book highly when I told them I was going to read it. On top of that, the back of the book reads:

"Bill Bryson has joyfully mined the rich ore of English to produce a treasure of a book about the treasure of our tongue." --Richard Lederer, author of Crazy English

Bill Bryson was an American journalist who worked for The Times, in London, and The Independent. He wrote many bestselling travel books, including The Lost Continent, which documented his journey around the United States from 1987 to 1988. His books include A Dictionary of Troublesome Words, A Walk in the Woods, and A Short History of Nearly Everything.

I will also be starting a "beautiful-word-definition" for the posts of The Mother Tongue (I find doing this is relevant to the book), so here we go:


Links:

Picture Source ("The Mother Tongue"): https://img0.etsystatic.com/032/0/6776881/il_340x270.570389374_jz2c.jpg
Picture Souce ("fernweh"): http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25612-fernweh-meaning-gif-aDM0.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment