Thursday, March 13, 2014

Part 1: David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell

http://img2-3.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/08/15/David-and-Goliath.jpg
 The real question is: Why have so many Gifted students chosen Malcolm Gladwell books as their non-fiction book? Gladwell should analyze this phenomenon and write a book on it.

So what's the big deal about a half-"Jamaican (me) crazy"-haired staff (get it? Jamaican-me-crazy? You're making me crazy? For all of those who don't appreciate puns. I <3 Catelyn Huang. #catelynhack The sentence is actually supposed to say "half-Jamaican, crazy-haired staff writer...") writer at The New Yorker who was written multiple fascinating books? Malcolm Gladwell has become a symbol of analytical thinking in modern-day American society. His newest book, David and Goliath, explores the strategies, mindset, and actions of underdogs throughout history.

Most famously, the story of David and Goliath, for which the title was named after. Long story short, it's about David, who's the underdog (a shepherd boy), and Goliath, a giant. David kills Goliath using only a rock and a slingshot, and wins a war in the process. Dang, if only it was that simple to win a war, then tackling a Language Arts essay while procrastinating by writing on a blog should be no big deal...Anyways, I am well familiar with this biblical tale and every time I think of the story again, Goliath's sheer stupidity makes me laugh to my very core. After all, giants are merely people, but instead, everything about them is just magnified, in a sense. That includes their idiocy, clumsiness, and blindness to the delicate situation at hand (Malcolm Gladwell mentions this in the book). 
 
After reading Outliers (the entire thing, not just the flimsy section Mr. McDaniels handed us), I am definitely looking forward to David and Goliath and the entertaining anecdotes that Gladwell retells in his books. But I wonder--what more can we analyze about underdogs? We all know they use unique strategies to overcome their opponents, obstacles, etc., etc., so how does Gladwell take this a step further? What don't we already know about underdogs that Gladwell has come to the conclusion of based on historic events? I must admit, I wondered the exact same thing before I read the first page of Outliers. My thoughts were: What don't we already know about people who are outliers? After I finished the book, my only reaction was: "Ohhhhhhhhh" and I realized there is so much to analyze about and learn from unique individuals in our society. I expect that this book will give me the same epiphany as Outliers did and that it will guide me through difficult situations that may lie ahead.

Just as Cloud Atlas truly enlightened me about human nature and the interconnection of our lives, I hope David and Goliath will enlighten me about achieving the unachievable and conquering seemingly insurmountable challenges.

Links:

4 comments:

  1. Ugh your blog is terrible and makes me want to stop reading forever.
    Just kidding (or am I?) I find your voice to be really entertaining, but it doesn't distract from your point. I like how your voice seems both formal and informal at the same time, so it ensures that the post is both informative and entertaining. Are you enjoying the book so far? I just finished reading "The Tipping Point" (ugh Google please let me italicize), and honestly I wish I read "David and Goliath." It still provided me with much insight, but it was kind of boring.
    Anyway, I <3 you too, I don't know what you mean by "#catelynhack", and keep the interesting posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and thanks for also posting a comment on my "Part 3: Cloud Atlas" post! I was afraid no one was going to read it because it's so long, but I'm glad you actually posted a comment! And why do you dislike "The Tipping Point"? I'm pretty sure if you don't like it, then you won't like "David and Goliath". All of his books are pretty similar.

      Delete
  2. So is this book multiple stories of underdogs, or is it specifically the bible story, just retold? Mr. Perlman recommended Gladwell to myself, but I am not even sure who that is. I hope that you have a wonderful time reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough, but the book contains multiple stories of real-life underdogs. David and Goliath is referenced throughout the book and is retold in the beginning. What non-fiction book are you reading?

      Delete